Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Remembering March 21, 2009 -- one of the scariest days of my life

Every year when I wake up on March 21, I say a prayer and remember back to March 21, 2009 -- one of the scariest days of my life that truly ended in a miracle for my family.

It should have been a calm, lazy day -- I was 7 months pregnant with my first child.  My best friends were planning a baby shower for me  the following day.   I had seen my obstetrician 4 days earlier and things were going beautifully - the baby was developing normally,  I was healthy, and everything was great.

March 21, 2009 should have been a normal day during a very normal pregnancy, but it turned into a terrifying day that ended with me in pre-term labor at only 7 months pregnant.  March 21 began a three day marathon of trying to stave off pre-term labor and ended with me having a very tiny, premature baby born 2 months early.

Here is a blog post that I wrote on March 21, 2010 to tell the emotional birth story surrounding the premature birth of Samuel Dame Geller-Cheney.

http://rebeccageller.blogspot.com/2010/03/reflecting-back-on-sams-first-birthday.html

Although March 21 is always a tough day for me -- I just have to take one look at my amazing almost 3 year old and know that he is truly a miracle.  People are stunned to learn that Sam was born 2 months early.

He now speaks at a kindergarten level.  He is a social butterfly with many many friends.  He is an amazing big brother.  He understands EVERYTHING.  He is creative, loves to read, musical, determined, stubborn, funny, sweet, outdoorsy, and an overall exceptional little boy.  He is very tall, skinny, with endless energy -- and is healthy!


As always, I have to thank the amazing doctors and nurses at Sibley hospital who are truly miracle workers.  You will always hold a special place in our hearts.

2 comments:

Pamela said...

Beautiful post - amazing, lovely little boy! My daughter had open heart surgery at 7 months old - and the hospitals, nurses and doctors were so amazing. We are both blessed with such good outcomes....

What a cutie he is!

Kelsey said...

Beautiful, Becca. I know your little guy thrives because he has a wonderful mom like you!