Thursday, October 21, 2010

17 weeks from my pregnancy with Sam

When I was pregnant with Sam, I began a pregnancy blog on carepages.com.  I stopped the blog after he was born and remembered about it the other day.  My first blog entry was December 4, 2008 - when I was 17 weeks pregnant with Sam.  Now that I'm 17.5 weeks pregnant with baby boy #2, I was fascinated reading back on my thoughts and feelings at the same point in time during my pregnancy with Sam.  It's pretty entertaining to remember my anxiety about baby items and the overwhelming questions we had about being parents - and how our life would change.  The comments at the end are pretty funny too! 

Here it is, enjoy:

17 Week Update & Welcome!


Posted Dec 4, 2008 1:54pm

Hi everyone, welcome to the Geller-Cheney Pregnancy Blog! We are deeply touched that so many people have asked to be included in updates about this amazing journey in our lives, so we thought that this would be a great way to keep you all informed about the many changes that pregnancy has brought to our lives. We've included a recent picture (December 3, 2008) of my growing belly - which the dog finds to be fascinating as evident in this picture.  


We are now 17 weeks along and enjoying the 2nd trimester MUCH better than the first. Gone are the days of vomiting and all-day nausea. I'm not as tired as I was in first trimester, but the previous nights of getting 4-5 hours of sleep and being fine the next day are long gone. However, I'm apparently carrying the baby rather high (and having a giant) which is causing some quite unpleasant heartburn. Anyone have any tricks for dealing with heartburn? I've tried Zantac - it doesn't help at all.
I started feeling the baby move about a week ago. At first it felt like bubbles, but now it is more like a butterfly fluttering around in there! It still doesn't feel quite real yet - when we have ultrasounds and see the baby moving all over the place, I'm still surprised to see how big it is and how much it moves. Its body is now about the size of a grapefruit or small melon and measures about 5 inches from head to rump. I suppose when I begin to feel a sharp kick to my ribs it will become more real, but I still can't quite wrap my head around the idea that there really is a baby in my ever-growing tummy. It's so different from any other experience that I don't really have other things in my life to draw upon or other experiences to compare it to. Bringing our dog Lucy home from the animal shelter was not quite the same. :) But, we're excited and beginning to make plans for the May 15, 2009 arrival.

I've received MANY questions about weird food cravings, especially since my normal eating habits are already quite odd. (yes, my chick pea obsession continues...and I really miss my tuna fish, cottage cheese, french dressing salad since I can't eat tuna while I'm pregnant) I've been very into apple-related things - apple juice, applesauce, apples, etc. I've also been very easily swayed into eating things by watching people on tv eat something and I MUST eat that too. Lately those items have included pizza, popcorn, poptarts, and berries. I've been eating all sorts of berries like crazy. I just started getting hungrier than usual about 2 weeks ago. I've worked hard to make the calories count and eat healthy, but sometimes the baby just needs to have some chocolate peanut butter ice cream!

Our friend Dana Graham accompanied us to Buy Buy Baby to begin a baby registry. Thank GOODNESS she came with us! Brad and I were quite overwhelmed. Who knew that there were 75 kinds of strollers! We had no clue which baby contraptions were necessities and which were just ridiculous. We're starting to think about the nursery, we want to paint the walls a warm yellow and do a nautical/beach/ocean theme.
The mood swings are here full force. The other night Brad was helping me search through the unpacked boxes in our new house to find a pair of shoes that I wanted to wear to my firm's holiday party. Frustrated, I gave up and he kept looking until he found the shoes - and then I burst into tears with gratitude and appreciation of his perseverance. This is much better than the October ginger ale episode. Ginger ale has been my staple anti-nausea panacea during the pregnancy. After opening the LAST bottle of ginger ale in the house, Brad forgot to screw on the top and left it slightly open over night. Feeling quite nauseous and in need of bubbly ginger ale, I discovered the flat ginger ale - and promptly began sobbing hysterically and yelling at Brad "Why are you doing this to me?!?!? Why do you hate me so much!?!?"
As I'm sure you all know, Brad has patience of a saint. He has been an amazing husband over the past few months. It's been quite a roller coaster between the pregnancy, closing on our house, moving, the election, our busy jobs, and continuing to volunteer in our "free" time. But, we're happy, healthy, nervous, and excited for whatever adventures cross our paths in the next few months as we count down to May 15, 2009.

Thanks to all of you who have provided much love and support during the many changes in our lives. We look forward to keeping you all posted about this new chapter in the Geller-Cheney house and re-connecting with folks we may have lost touch with. Love to you all!

by Faith Leonard
Thanks for including me in all of this excitement! You are bringing back decades-old memories - good ones! Hmmm...heartburn. I remember that vividly from my first pregnancy when I "carried high" - small meals helped, as did the turning and dropping baby two weeks before delivery. And as for that out of body experience (or, more aptly, the invasion of the body snatcher), I remember sitting back and going along for the ride - a thrill a minute. So have fun! With hugs, Faith

by heather rose
so, strange eating habits and mood swings...sounds like not much has changed for you! glad you're feeling better. looking forward to your updates and stories...and have some ice cream for me! baby wants it, i can tell!

by Elizabeth Kanick
Guys, this is a FABULOUS idea!!! We are so excited for you and so glad that we will be able to count on you to be a version of guinea pigs! Much love to you both and we will eagerly await more updates!

by Erin Taylor
Wow...I'm very excited for you!! I hope the next few months are full of joy as both you and Brad transition into the important roles of Mom and a Dad!! I'm be thinking of you...
by David Geller
Brad has the patience of a saint, but a questionable taste in women . . .
Also, last night I had a dream that y'all had brought a duck into your house (why a duck? I don't know), and Lucy was not happy about it. She went to smell it and was trying to be nice to it, but it bit her and started chasing her. So I ran to protect her and she stood next to me as I continually had to shoo it away since it continued pursuit. I wonder if this has to do with our conversation the other night about how I was going to make sure Lucy wasn't too hurt by the attention being taken from her and given to the baby (which you have said is a puppy anyhow . . .)
And who is this Sandy person talking about multiple wives? Did she lose some of her few remaining brain cells in Israel?

by Karen Cheney
Such an exciting time in your lives. Enjoy and savor each moment. It was awesome to feel the "baby bump" just a week ago. Keep up your good work nurturing my grandchild!!!

by lisa plotkin
YAY FOR UPDATES! love you both :-)

by sandy weiner
I think that it is great that we are not in a country that believes a man should have more than one wife at a time. Can you imagine what Brad or Tyler, or any other guy out there would have to deal with if they had more than 1 Becca or Melissa pregnant at one time? Yikes!, it's bad enough when they go thru they're monthly stuff , regular ASB (attention seeking behavior)and hystreonics. Only joking------the guys have no idea what us woman go thru when pregnant and we deserve to have their full attentionand all our wants met continually! Love , MeMe andy

by Melissa Hart
LOL... I like how you are acting like your mood swings are something new... hehe:) Oh, and wait until you start crying over toothpaste commercials! Then you really start to feel like a crazy person... I mean, more so than usual...
The picture of Lucy eyeing your belly is great!I wonder if they are having some sort of secret dog-baby telepathic conversation that none of us understand.
XOXO, Emmy :)

by Norm Geller
I guess it's easy to be patient with such a "delight." As for "sainthood" I would guess his clenched jaws of restraint would not necessarily agree. Fathers and grandfathers have very special ways of coping.

by Dana Graham
The Buy Buy Baby adventure was a ton of fun...although I learned that you can forget a lot in 3 years! So, keep blogging!! It will be fun for you to be able to go back and relive the moments...especially since it flies by so quickly! Be healthy & happy! XOXO

by Sue Geller
As your ever loving mother I need to make a correction to what you wrote. Brad hasn't been a saint just these past few months -- how about these past few years??? But seriously, this is such an exciting time for you and for us. We're all so glad you're feeling better. Hard to believe you're almost at the half-way point of the pregnancy. Keep eating right and take good care of my growing grandchild.

No comments: