Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Egg Creams Take II

To follow-up on yesterday's post about food cravings, today I NEEDED a good old fashioned egg cream.  For those who don't know what an egg cream is - I MUST introduce you to this fabulous drink.  Even though I was raised in the south, my New York parents and family indoctrinated me with this wonderful concotion from a very young age.

It's basically a chocolate soda.  There are NO eggs in it.  Don't ask me why it's called an egg cream, I have no idea.  Here's what it looks like:

It is DELICIOUS.  You just mix chocolate syrup, seltzer water, and milk n a tall glass.  I have no idea how much of each, I don't measure at all when I cook (which is why I'm a lousy baker).  Just pour in some of each, stir, taste, and usually I then add more chocolate syrup.  It can never be too chocolatey!
But, today, I realized we have no chocolate syrup in the house.  So I attempted to improvise by melting some chocolate chips to replace the chocolate syrup.  I got it really hot and liquidy, hoping it would mix into the drink quickly before it hardened.  No such luck.  I ended up with some very clumpy chocolate chunks in the milk soda.  I took one taste.  YUCK.

So, on Brad's way home from work, guess what he was asked to pick up at the lovely CVS down the road from us?  You got it - chocolate syrup!  Egg cream Take II turned out fabulously!  Yum! 

No comments: