Sunday, October 10, 2010

Travels in Traffic with a Toddler

Friday we went to Richmond to be the first house guests at my parents' brand new house! They bought land about a year ago and custom-built a gorgeous home. We absolutely love it and are so happy for them!

We gave them a lawnmower and needed to drive 2 cars to bring it down since we couldn't fit the lawnmower, dog, Sam, suitcases, and us in one car. So I travelled down to Richmond with Sam and the dog Friday by myself. Driving on I-95South the Friday before a 3 day weekend was my first mistake, and we hit major traffic delays. The 90 minute drive took almost 3 hours.

My decision to drive Brad's car (Honda Accord) with the dog so that she could sit in the backseat and entertain Sam was my second mistake. Sam is head over heels in love with the dog. But, he's not always gentle with the dog.
 Sam still sits backwards in his carseat - check out his hand reaching out and petting the dog's back.  (Yes I was in traffic not moving while I took this picture).  My brilliant idea of having the dog sit in the back with him quickly backfired.  Sam flipped out every time the dog moved away and was out of arm's reach.  Terrific.

After 2 hours of being harassed by Sam, the poor dog began to freak out.  She tried to climb into the front seat with me and began shaking and panting.  I thought maybe she was thirsty? I had brought some plastic measuring cups as toys for Sam, but poured some of my water into one of the measuring cups and offered it to the dog over my shoulder as she was perched up on the console in between the seats.  Of COURSE, the traffic opened up and I had to begin driving again as soon as the dog began thirstily lapping up the water.  Great.  But, at least she calmed down!

Hours later, we finally made it to Richmond and fell in love with my parents' new house!  We brought them a dogwood as a housewarming gift. Dogwoods are the Virginia state flower and tree (At this point, Brad always starts in on the lines from one of our favorite movies, American President, and begins quoting the conversation between Michael Douglas (President in the movie) and the florist trying to order dogwoods for his girlfriend played by Annette Benning).  My grandparents gave my parents a dogwood when they first bought their home in Richmond 30 years ago.  When we bought our house, my parents gave us a dogwood.  It only seemed fitting that they needed a dogwood for their new home.

The house is terrific and HUGE! 4 BR, 4 and 1/2 baths (I tried all of them out when we were there!), a terrific sunroom, enormous family room, and an amazing screened in porch which is my favorite room in the house.

Sam fell in love with the kitchen and thoroughly enjoyed the empty cabinets - they make excellent hiding places for a toddler!

Can't wait for many more future visits!

No comments: