Wednesday, October 13, 2010

It's a Boy!

It’s probably not news that we’re having a boy – since I posted it on my FB status, but it’s such a big announcement I wanted to do a blog post about it too.  At 12.5 weeks we had a high resolution ultrasound and the ultrasound tech turned to us and said “Do you want to know the sex?” We were surprised that she could know the sex so early (we didn't find out with Sam until 20 weeks) and we said “yes, do you KNOW the sex?” She said "yes…pretty sure it’s a boy. As if on cue, the baby spread its legs wide open and showed off his private parts. Yup, that’s my boy. We were shocked that we could tell so early. The tech said she wasn’t entirely positive, but pretty sure.


Because of my history of delivering Sam at 32 weeks, I’m being monitored very closely and have to get high resolution ultrasounds every few weeks. At 15.5 weeks we went back and she confirmed without a doubt that we are definitely having a boy!

Once we found out we’re having a boy, Brad turned to me and said “so, I guess this means that we’re going to go for a third baby for a girl?” I was like, “can we PLEASE get through this pregnancy before we start thinking about a third!?!?” I’m not opposed to the idea of three kids, but I can’t even wrap my head around life with 2 right now..much less with three.

People keep asking me if I’m disappointed that I won’t have a girl. I’ll admit that I do love the girl clothes (I’m sorry but they are so stinking cute – so much cuter than the boy clothes). But, after everything we went through with Sam’s premature delivery and spending 3 weeks in a NICU – all I want is a healthy baby and a “normal” pregnancy. I know so many people who have had kids with various health challenges and I am so grateful that Sam is amazingly healthy and developmentally normal (in addition to being sweet, smart, loving, and overall wonderful) considering his very early arrival.

I also really like the idea of 2 brothers being close in age and hopefully playing well together and being close friends. Sam has some adjusting to do before the baby arrives – he doesn’t share very well and gets very anxious seeing me hold a baby. It will be a big adjustment for the whole family, but we’re excited and beginning to think about names, nursery colors, furniture, etc. I know some people don’t like to find out the sex of the baby until the birth b/c they don’t want to ruin the surprise. I feel like it is a surprise no matter when you find out. Knowing the sex helps me to envision the baby and the baby begins to have more of an identity in my mind…it becomes more real to say “he is moving” rather than “it is moving.”

The due date is now March 27 and things are progressing well! The ultrasound tech saw the baby’s face and saw “aww, he’s so cute!” Personally, I think he looks like an alien on the ultrasound – but apparently he’s cute! Can’t wait to meet him!

No comments: